Let's Talk Science Challenge
The Let’s Talk Science Challenge is a team-based, competitive enrichment event for Grades 6-8 students that takes place each spring at over 20 Let’s Talk Science Outreach locations across Canada.
This free, fun-filled program encourages students to build their team skills, interact with relevant role models and test their abilities against peers. The Challenge includes an exciting question and answer competition, an interactive, hands-on design challenge, guest speakers and more! It inspires students to acquire science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) knowledge beyond their curriculum.
NEW this year! The Let’s Talk Science Challenge will hosted in French by Let’s Talk Science Outreach at the University of Sherbrooke! Registration will be available soon on our website.
Benefits to Students
The Let’s Talk Science Challenge positively impacts Grade 6-8 students because it:
- gives a realistic view of the opportunities for choosing STEM-related studies in high school to enhance their post-secondary program and career options
- enriches curriculum in eight subject areas (Biology, Chemistry, Earth Sciences, Environmental Sciences, Engineering & Technology, Math, Physics and Space Sciences)
- puts STEM on the menu of extracurricular activities
- emphasizes team collaboration, cooperative learning and problem-solving skills
- brings them to a post-secondary campus and provides contact with university and college students and professional scientists – a great opportunity for meeting role models!
- provides an outlet for students who are not being challenged by the curriculum
- encourages students to collaborate and form study groups – a useful skill for future years
Participating in the Let’s Talk Science Challenge
As early as January, teams of 2-4 students begin prepare for the event by studying the Let’s Talk Science Challenge handbook, which covers a range of science material and topics. On event day, the student teams participate at the exciting, interactive on-campus Challenge. At the end of the day, the winners are celebrated, presented with medals and crowned the Let’s Talk Science Challenge Champions!
All Challenge competitions are held annually in April and May at participating Let’s Talk Science Outreach sites across Canada. Check the event locations and dates to find a location nearest you.
If you’re a Grade 6-8 student, be sure to tell your teacher or parents you want to participate.
For more Let’s Talk Science Challenge details, contact:
Let's Talk Science Challenge and Events Coordinator
Media and communications inquiries: